Ms. Bugden is a skilled quality manager and scientist with expertise in HACCP, Food Safety, Allergy Management and SQF. Elizabeth works with organizations to train staff, set and measure food safety goals, document standard operating procedures, verify compliance to regulations, and determine root cause analysis. She is comfortable working within all levels of an organization.
Elizabeth has a unique combination of private and public sector professional experience which enables her to function with the efficiency of a private-sector manager while having the diplomacy and credibility of a seasoned government official. As a project manager, she keeps team members on task and produces the desired outcome of the highest quality in a timely and expeditious manner. Elizabeth’s strategic thinking seeks and supports effective solutions during complex situations and enlists support from all stakeholders to move an organization in an agreed upon direction.
Operations & Project Management: HACCP Risk Management | SQF implementation | Team Dynamics | Manufacturing Laboratory and Operations | Training Development & Delivery| Compliance to Regulatory Requirements |
Organizational Transformation: Policy and Procedure Development, Implementation, and Continuous Improvement | Statistical Process Control | Training Development and Delivery | Root Cause Analysis |
Relevant Career Highlights
- Independent Consultant : Founder/President of Bugden Solutions, Inc.; provides food safety and quality assurance resources to organizations including State Departments of Education [RI, NH, MA, MI], Professional Membership Organizations [School Nutrition Association, National Environmental Health Association and National School Boards Association], Government Agencies [CDC, FDA, USDA], and Private Industry [Dole, Ocean Spray Cranberries, Dave’s Marketplace and Trinidad Benham]. Areas of focus include food safety training, technical writing, auditing for compliance and SQF implementation.
- Awards: Ms. Bugden was awarded the Rhode Island Departments of Education and Health Coordinated School Health Leadership Award and the NSF Leadership Award for Food Safety Education for her work on the Food-Safe Schools Program.
- Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. : Developed expertise in all facets of the beverage industry including corporate and plant management. Areas of noteworthy expertise in the Technology Transfer Process: managing change and increasing the success of new products and packages to market.
- Kraft, Dairy Group : Developed expertise in all facets of the dairy industry including quality assurance, production management, production planning, and supply chain. Supported the plant-wide response to a recall of listeria monocytogenes.
- At Bugden Solutions, Inc. Elizabeth leads nation-wide food safety initiatives to prevent foodborne illness. Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. has certified all of their food and beverage plants in SQF with the assistance of Ms. Bugden. The National School Boards Association has published a guide written by Ms. Bugden called Safe at School and Ready to Learn: A Comprehensive Policy Guide for Protecting Students with Life-Threatening Food Allergies. The USDA is in final production of the Food-Safe Schools Action Guide for School Foodservice for which Ms. Bugden has co-authored and is executing the dissemination plan. I-FIIT Instructor, SQF Implementation purchase to pay processes, called in to be the interim QA Manger at a facility in the aftermath of a product recall. The State of New Hampshire Department of Education has used Ms. Bugden to assure compliance to the National School Lunch Program, Summer Feeding Program, and the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program.
- Managed and executed the CDC priority to prevent foodborne illness in schools by launching a nation-wide disease prevention program: The Food-Safe Schools Action Guide. Elizabeth facilitated workshops/ professional development sessions for target audiences [School Nurses, Principals, School Foodservice Staff, and Parent] amounting to greater than eighteen thousand attendees in eight years.
- At Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. Elizabeth’s expertise was used to “save the day” by working with teams on responding to urgent opportunities and creating sustainable systems of continuous improvement.
- At Kraft, Dairy Group Elizabeth grew to know every inch of the plant by working in QA, Supply Chain, and Operations.
- MS, Business Administration, Lesley University, Cambridge, MA
- BS, Nutrition and Food Science, Framingham State College, Framingham, MA
- HACCP Instructor
- Conference for Food Protection, Foodborne Illness Training Committee Chair
- National Environmental Health Association, member and Industry Foodborne Illness Investigation Training Instructor
- School Nutrition Association, member and food safety instructor