Ned Mitenius is the President of Periscope Consulting and Founder of One Food Team. He provides the project management “heavy lifting” for the team. Acting as the client’s “owner agent” his methods will improve project communication, coordination, reduce delays and save on costly overruns.
Mr. Mitenius brings a variety of skills to bear on operations management, from management consulting in manufacturing and compliance, corporate experience in project management, leadership as a naval officer, and education in engineering and business. His experience includes roles as the Reactor Division Officer on a U.S. Navy submarine with responsibility for the nuclear reactor, steam generation and electrical generation systems. As a consultant, he has expertise in manufacturing operations, asset management, procurement management, manufacturing & business process improvement, as well as project management and PMO development. He has significant project management and change implementation experience leading programs in new product development, manufacturing process improvement, automation and reliability. He has trained practitioners in project management, and taught operations courses including operating efficiency and reliability centered maintenance.
Operations & Project Management: Scope Development and Control | Risk Management | Business Process Design | Manufacturing Requirements Development | Purchasing & Procurement | Manufacturing Operations | Training Development & Delivery
Lean/Six Sigma (DMAIC) Methodology & Tools: Value Stream Mapping (VSM) | 5S | Quick Changeover/SMED | Root Cause Analysis | TPM
Relevant Career Highlights
- Independent Consultant – Founder/Principal at Periscope Consulting, LLC; Operations improvement through Project Management methodologies, Process analysis and design, Integration of process improvement. Compliance program development, sustainability and audits. Numerous projects including new product roll-out, financial integration, software updates, manufacturing line installation and automation.
- Chiquita/Fresh Express – Created a Project Management Center of Excellence (PMO) to change the way projects are implemented, with the goal of improving the success rate of New Product Development (NPD) projects. The professional project managers of this team grew to take on all “troublesome” projects as well as major product introductions such as “Apple Dippers” for McDonalds.
- Nestlé USA – Known internally as “the Maximo Guy,” deployed Maximo Enterprise Asset Management across 33 facilities in three years, migrating facilities from multiple disparate legacy systems (the most popular of which was ‘none.’) Developed and delivered end user training on all key modules. Supported Maximo across all facilities. Continued with enhancement projects to integrate Maximo with financials (SAP) and ecommerce (Ariba).
- Ocean Spray Cranberries – Held maintenance and engineering roles from plant to regional levels; responsible for system reliability, project design and scoping, sanitary design and process re-engineering. Maximo “super user” responsible for upgrades from DOS to first Windows versions, enhancement of preventive maintenance programs across the enterprise, and development of first barcode inventory and cycle counting systems. Built Ocean Spray’s only “world-class” maintenance system.
- Officer, US Navy – Leadership of multiple shipboard divisions and a refueling overhaul, responsible for reactor controls division, machinery division and electrical and internal communications divisions, managed scheduled maintenance programs.
- At ConAgra Foods executed startup management roles for >$25 million construction projects to enhance capacity and roll out new snack products. Responsible for all training, staffing and startup activities including preventive maintenance and MRO functions.
- At Chiquita, developed a project to bring a value-added avocado to market. Coordinated logistic and financial activities to reconcile disparate systems.
- At Ocean Spray Cranberries, developed and delivered training for an Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) update across all facilities in the U.S.
- At Chiquita/Fresh Express, developed capacity and bottleneck analysis models, executing projects to complete them nationwide. This resulted in minor de-bottlenecking projects that postponed expansion by one year and spawned numerous follow-up projects that further enhanced capacity.
- At Nestlé USA, deployed Maximo EAM across 33 facilities in three years, migrating facilities from multiple disparate legacy systems (the most popular of which was ‘none.’) Developed and delivered end user training on all key modules. Develop a standardized user security schema across all facilities and created tools to facilitate management of those security protocols. Developed common KPI and reporting across all divisions and facilities. Supported Maximo end-users across all facilities. Participated in an enhancement project to integrate Maximo with financials (SAP) and ecommerce (Ariba), including all user training and onsite “go-live” support.
- At Ocean Spray Cranberries, installed the first mix-proof valves, an automated CIP system and concentrate tank farm. This resulted in improved quality, improved OEE and increased capacity.
- At Minute Maid, installed the first vision system, inspecting empty packaging containers. This resulted in dramatic improvements in OEE and capacity with corresponding reductions in MRO costs.
- BS, Chemistry, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD (top 1%)
- Nuclear Engineering, Navy Nuclear Power Officer Program, Orlando, FL & Ballston Spa, NY.
- PMP, PMI Dallas and Fort Worth Chapters. Education Committee Director
- Instructor, Instructor Development Workshop course by the National Center for Biomedical Research and Training Academy of Counter-Terrorist