Mr. Carpenter is a Project Management Professional with 40+ years of industrial experience with 22+ years of operational experience in food manufacturing. His experience ranges from management consulting in manufacturing, operations management, corporate project management, and leadership as a senior naval petty officer. As the Leading Petty Officer of the Electrical Division on submarines and aircraft carriers, he was responsible for the electrical generation systems and electrical equipment on both warships. As a consultant his expertise consists of manufacturing operations, manufacturing process improvement, project management, and Project Management Office development. He has extensive manufacturing reliability process improvement, project and change management experience while leading plant, line, and new product implementation.
Operations & Project Management: Scope Development and Control | Risk Management | Manufacturing Process Improvement | Manufacturing Requirements Development | Manufacturing Operations | Training Development & Delivery | Startup Manager
Lean/Six Sigma (DMAIC) Methodology & Tools: Change Management | 5S | Quick Changeover/SMED | Root Cause Analysis | TPM
Relevant Career Highlights
- Independent Consultant – Founder/Principal at CPM Consulting, LLC; Operations improvement through Project Management methodologies and Integration of process improvement. Routinely hired for larger projects, those in trouble, or those in facilities not familiar with project management. Manufacturing industry expert utilized in developing food defense plans and strategies.
- Chiquita/Fresh Express – Senior Project Manager known to senior management as “the go to guy” in the project management arena. Managed projects as diverse as building and startup of a manufacturing facility, closing a manufacturing facility, new product introduction, product and process improvement, and introduction of new technology. Responsible for all phases of traditional project management; ideation, planning, execution, control, and closing. Also utilized Stage Gate Project Management methodology.
- Welch’s Food Inc. – Operations and Safety Manager; responsible for all facets of the processing system including production, maintenance, and sanitation departments. Instituted system which integrated cross functional responsibilities raising processing efficiency measured by 1st hour efficiency. Implemented DuPont’s award winning “STOP” safety program
- Senior Chief Petty Officer, US Navy – Leader of the electrical division on nuclear powered submarines and aircraft carriers. Instructor at Nuclear Power School and Land based Nuclear Prototype School. In charge of predictive maintenance on Squadron 8 submarines which included predictive maintenance, sound vibration analysis, infrared technology, and oil analysis.
- United States Navy Nuclear Power School – One of three man team to close the Navy Nuclear Power School and Nuclear “A” School in Orlando FL And move it to Charleston SC. The three “A” schools varied in length from 8 to 24 weeks and Nuclear Power School was 26 weeks in length. A new school, along with barracks, mess facilities, and other supporting ancillaries, were required to be constructed on the new site. The transitioning from FL to SC was required to be accomplished without interrupting the flow of graduates to the fleet. The project was completed successfully.
- At Fresh Express, researched, tested, and implemented ultrasonic sealing technology on traditional heat sealing vertical form/fill baggers. In addition, worked with a film producing company to develop a film with heat and ultrasonic sealing capabilities. Purchased new or retrofitted over 80 baggers with ultrasonic capabilities across 5 facilities. Responsible for all facets of the project including budgeting, costing, research, development, procurement, and training.
- At Chiquita, managed project to package the best quality bananas in an atmosphere controlled tray which allowed the banana to stay fresh twice as long typical bananas. Assisted in the development of the breathable tray, the tray packaging equipment, and the banana selection process in the tropical banana fields. Performed market studies and consumer taste tests and surveys.
- At Fresh Express, managed the project to close an eight line manufacturing facility. Responsible for all aspects of closing the facility which included transitioning of personnel, transitioning of equipment and volume to other facilities, disposition of remaining equipment including an auction, cleaning and maintaining the facility, providing security, and rental of the facility.
- At ConAgra, was the Start Up Manager for an innovative “Steamer Bowl” project which introduced 5 new SKUs in a challenging bowl and basket configuration utilizing prototype equipment to place and seal the components. The bowl design created unique opportunities in conveyance and transitioning on the packaging line requiring equipment redesign, retesting, and installation. The project was brought in on budget meeting the success criteria of 260 bowls per minute at 85% efficiency.
- BS, Electronics Management, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
- Nuclear Engineering, Navy Nuclear Power Enlisted Program, Orlando, FL & Ballston Spa, NY.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt from Purdue University and Black Belt Champion
- PMP, PMI Atlanta. PMI education Provider
- MA, Career and Technical Education,Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI